Most scrap metal and appliances can be recycled without compromising content. Due to our desire to uphold environmental regulations, protect the health and safety of our employees and visitors, and remain within compliance laws, we are unable to recycle certain scrap metals and materials. We work to maintain an updated list of these items at our office, staying up-to-date on complex laws and regulations surrounding recycling materials.
Please note that this list is not comprehensive. Members of our industry and suppliers must apply best judgement to determine which materials cannot be safely and efficiently recycled. Any associated risk with materials must be managed appropriately.
Materials we do not accept include:
- Garbage, trash, or excessive quantities of dirt, concrete, or other non-recyclable materials
- Sealed containers
- Nickel-cadmium batteries
- Flammable materials
- Materials containing excess or free flowing oil, gasoline, diesel fuel or other hydrocarbons
- Cylinders or other containers of compressed gas, including propane bottles
- Radioactive materials
- Any material containing asbestos
- Any ‘hazardous waste’ as defined by any applicable federal, state, or local law or regulation
- Mercury containing items (i.e. switches, ABS units, thermostats, etc.)
The following materials are acceptable as long as they have been thoroughly cleaned in accordance with applicable laws and policies and with our prior approval. Read here for additional information regarding refrigerant or CFC removal:
- PCB transformers, capacitors, light ballasts, or other equipment or containers that contain or are contaminated with PCBs
- Drums, tanks, or other containers that may have any residues on or in them
- Appliances, “white goods,” or other scrap items containing refrigerants or CFCs (unless the refrigerants or CFCs have been removed – with proper certification, read here for more information on the process of refrigerant and CFC removal)
East Tennessee Scrap Metal Recycling with Roane Metals Group
Should it happen that we are unable to accept a certain material at delivery or pick-up, we will make attempts to segregate the rejected materials, if practical. If this occurs, we will contact you to make appropriate arrangements for handling of the rejected materials. We encourage comments, suggestions, and remain available for discussion regarding this process. If you are unsure if the item is acceptable or not, give us a call at 865-354-4282, and we will be happy to assist you or provide you with resources you need to dispose of the item.
6 Place to Find Common Scrap Metal in Your Home - Roane Metals Group, LLC October 2, 2019 at 5:40 pm
[…] items they may not accept to the yard. Common unaccepted items that you may find in your home are railroad stakes, street signs, or city-owned cables/wiring. Scrap yards are unable to accept these items because though you may have foraged them in one way […]